Thursday, April 3, 2008

Rick O' Shea


This is Ricks paddle. The shaft is the typical Ash plates with the not so typical for me sassafrass core. The blade-wood is made from two different cedars, Western Red and Alaskan Yellow, giving it a very contrasting look. The edges are curley maple and the tips are curley english sycamore. The T-grip was carved out of a piece of curley english walnut.

I was happy to make a guide stick for Mr. O' Shea because he's one of the smoothest paddle boat captains I've ever tried to follow down the Gauley. O shady still hasnt picked this one up. So Rick call me, come get your paddle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kyle,

I worked a trip with Miles on the Salt a couple weeks ago.. Don't know his last name but works for level 6 out in West Virginia and uses a paddle you made for him..All I can say is I loved it.. Its so f'in sweet.. The bamboo is such a nice touch.. I've really been getting interested in wood blades recently and you really dont see them on the west coast unless its a boater from the east.. By and by I would like to inquire about a raft guide blade.. Whats your waiting list looking like? Thanks so much and hopefully looking forward to continuing this process.. Cheers and happy boating..
Daniel Soule
soule@uoregon.edu
tribup@gmail.com